I must confess, I am a hodge-podge chef in the kitchen. I tend to eyeball and guesstimate my ingredients. Brian loves it-just ask him…
This quick and simple recipe comes together in about 20ish minutes and is perfect for a quick weeknight meal!
What you’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 2 medium onions (we used sweet ones)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (drained)
- salt & pepper
- 1 can of chickpeas (drained)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin (adjust spices to your preference!)
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons flour (depending on thick you want it)
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp (not a necessity, but it tastes great in the curry)
- 1 lime
- cashews for topping and extra saltiness
- On medium heat, add oil to your dutch oven or deep pan.
- Toss in your diced tomatoes and sliced onions. Add salt & pepper (I tend to go lighter and add more seasoning at the end) and stir. Let cook and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add in your chickpeas, garlic, and spices. Stir really well!
- Add in coconut milk and keep on stirring. Gradually add in the flour so it thickens.
- Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Add your shrimp in for the last 5-7 minutes of cooking time. After your curry is done cooking squeeze in the lime juice and let it sit for a couple of minutes and season accordingly.
I recommend serving it with rice, but you can totally serve it however you see fit (cauliflower rice is DELICIOUS with this ladled on top!) We also added some cashews for extra crunch. This made enough for both of us to have seconds tonight and pack our lunches for the next couple of days. Enjoy!